Character Concept Ideas
The advantage of the FATE system is that there’s no classes or anything like that, so, to some extent, the sky’s the limit in terms of deciding what you want to play. The disadvantage is that there’s no classes or anything like that, so actually picking a concept can be a little bit tough. So, here’s a couple of high-level categories or characters that might help.
In Atlantis, you’re likely to find:
- Lemurian Military – Atlantis isn’t a huge base, but there’s a small military contingent there. Soldiers, pilots, armorers, military intelligence… there’s also a destroyer that patrols the system, so if you want a naval character, that’s possible too. And, there’s a police/security function, though that’s fairly small.
- Atlantean Operations Staff – The governor’s command staff that actually keeps the city running.
- Atlantean Science Directorate – The nerds and techies of Atlantis. Everything from theoretical work to applied science to the engineering and fabrications folks. This is the bulk of Atlantis’ inhabitants.
- Atlantean Experiments – The Lemurians are desperate for something to win the war, and Atlantis is their own little DARPA lab. While there’s a lot being done with just technology, there’s also genetic experiments, super-soldier tests, etc.
- Freelancers – There’s plenty of room on the raggedy edge for people willing to take risks. Bounty hunters bringing in exotic specimens for the Atlantean Science Directorate, ship’s captains bringing in salvage or rare materials, etc.
- Other Races – While Atlantis is a Lemurian outpost, there’s no reason there can’t be other races involved. They’d be a minority, of course, but explaining an alien to the humans of Earth might be an interesting task…